Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Kitchen Tip: You Can Make Baking Powder Yourself

It's been a zoo around here lately! Which means I haven't been very good at keeping up with shopping, or doing my usual preparations before I start cooking. You know where this is leading.....yep, I was in the middle of making a cake yesterday when I discovered I didn't have enough baking powder.

Luckily, I remembered that I could make it myself, and that I had the recipe in my computer files. It was still there, I had all the ingredients, and it worked great in my cake. Here's how you do it.

To make baking powder, combine 2 parts cream of tartar with 1 part each of baking soda and corn starch. Store in a cool, dry place in a tightly-sealed container.

I use the empty baking powder tin, just dump everything in, stir a bit to break up any lumps, and then put the lid on and shake it well. I've seen cooks at other blogs complain about how expensive cream of tartar is, but Penzeys sells it pretty cheap.

Comments:
Wow! I had no idea you could make your own baking powder - that's really cool, especially in a pinch! I'm going to have to keep this one! Now, the details: what kind of cake?! And, I'm curious - trying to be an organized person myself (especially with all my recipes to try...) - how do you do your computer files?
 
The cake was a white cake, with a chocolate and raspberry ganache frosting and raspberry jam between the layers. Sorry I didn't get any pictures, I was in a hurry.

My computer files are a mess just like my recipe file box! I have a folder that has only cooking documents. I have a food folder of bookmarks too, but I need to organize that better. I can't tell alot of times if I've marked a site or specific recipe, or it's a site that sells cooking equipment or food. I'm not a good model for organization!! :-)
 
Neat trick--I'd read about this, but never got the proportions before.
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?