Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Rice Flour is Pretty Easy to Make (and Bananas Keep Forever in the Freezer)

I was looking through my recipe bookmarks to find a new banana recipe. You see, I have this small problem.....I never throw bananas away! When they get brown, I put them in a freezer bag and store them in the freezer. When I want to make banana bread, I get a few out, let them defrost, and add them to the recipe. They're a lot easier to mash after being frozen, but the taste and texture aren't affected.

According to hubby, the bananas are threatening to take over our freezer, so I have a week to use a bunch of them or he'll throw them out. The horror! Throwing away perfectly good food....Well, Ilva's gluten free recipe for banana cake with almonds sounds really good. In the comments, I noticed that Catesa asked about finding rice flour. I don't know about the Netherlands, but it's available lots of places here. But why worry about buying it when it's pretty easy to make yourself? It's been a while since I've done it but there isn't much to it.

To make rice flour, just whirl uncooked rice in a blender or food processor until it's finely ground. If you want a very consistent, fine texture, you could use a fine mesh to sift the larger bits and keep processing them. The machine should be totally dry, so the flour doesn't get gummy, and the flour should be stored in an airtight container. Especially if you grind it extremely finely, rice flour can be used as a thickener for sauces and gravies. I don't know whether it's my impatience or if manufacturers have better equipment, but my rice flour usually makes them a little too gritty for me. Works great in everything else, though!

So.....anybody else got some good ideas for using frozen bananas? Baked items are my best hope, as the texture won't be right for puddings or pies or one of my favorites, bananas Foster.

Comments:
You could try selling them to Australia. A large part of our banana crop was wiped out by a hurricane last month.
 
Hahahaha! I don't have that many, and I bet it would be expensive to try to keep them frozen the entire trip.

I read about the hurricane, and hope the rebuilding is going faster than it is in New Orleans.
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?